Tuesday, May 15, 2007

MLK Time Mag Blog

The author feels as though whites owe King the greatest debt for freeing whites from the burden of America's centuries-old hypocrisy about race. Basically because of King and the vast movement he led that the U.S. can claim to be the leader of the "free world" without inviting smirks of disdain and disbelief. This is a reason King should be honored the most to by Caucasians. In my opinion Martin Luther King Jr. was definitely “the right man at the right time.” I think as King as the man who came to fight for his freedom at the right place and right time. He gave African Americans hope by the power in his words and the actions he took. I don’t think there could have been another person as courageous and daring as he was. While saying his I have a dream speech he has often been misinterpreted by his line “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." The line has become a slogan for opponents of affirmative action. IF Martin Luther King Jr. were alive today I don’t think that he would be upset with the controversy over his line. I think King would just be understanding over the fact that every word he said was a lot of controversy even when he was alive.

No comments: